5/20/2013

Top Five : Quotes I love from Shelley



 



Perhaps one of my favorite all time poets, just for the sheer beauty of the way he put words together, is Percy Shelley. Shelley was a major Romantic poet, so of course we were introduced to him in school. I'd have to say he was one of my first literary crushes. 

And quite possibly one of the longest standing. 

Ever Faithful, that's me.  



Here are a few of my favorite lines from his work. 




          
All love is sweet,
Given or returned. Common as light is love,
And its familiar voice wearies not ever."


Nothing in the world is single,
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle —
Why not I with thine?


The wise want love; and those who love want wisdom;

Age cannot Love destroy,
But perfidy can blast the flower,
Even when in most unwary hour
It blooms in Fancy’s bower.


“Teach us, Sprite or Bird,
What sweet thoughts are thine:
I have never heard / Praise of love or wine
That panted forth a flood of rapture so divine.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Yourself

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~e.e. cummings, 1955
The Romance Reviews