This is our current favorite version:
Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, sliced
9 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
4 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
¼ cup grated parmesan
¼ cup of bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
2. In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, layer the potatoes and onions. Add Gruyere to the top. Pour white sauce over the top.
3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 65-75 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Fifteen minutes before end of cooking time, sprinkle top with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
5. Bake another 15 minutes, uncovered, until top is golden brown.
Sprinkle with bacon before serving. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.