2/24/2013

Top Five Writing Quotes


      “Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.”
 John Jakes quotes

    Of all the writing quotes there are, this one is my absolute favorite. First of all, I do love John Jakes and his resplendent Civil War saga, The North and The South. But that's not all. The themes and observations he imparts about human nature, about good, evil and indifference, about courage and despair, are timeless. And this quote for me, encompasses the means he used to get to that end. 

“I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works.”
 Oscar Wilde      TWEET THIS                                                  

Cocky bastard, eh? To have that level of self-confidence is something we can all only wish for. Still, it amuses me when I'm having doubts about my role in the greater scheme of things, to remember I don't have to be a genius if I use my talent for writing.  

      “The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean”
 Robert Louis Stevenson                                                   

 Boy, how many times have I read back over what I've written and said wondered what I meant? Working on it, though. Putting the words together in the right way, to capture every nuance of the image in your head...I agree with him. It is a challenge. 

     “I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
 Oscar Wilde      

Uh huh. It's a big club. 

      “Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.”
 E. L. Doctorow                                                  

 Perfect. Like having a bucket of legos and creating whatever you want. It starts as a house then evolves into a space ship, or a robot, or a whatsit. 

     “Write without pay until somebody offers to pay”
 Mark Twain quotes
                                                            
*Sigh* 
Wise man, Mark. 

1 comment:

Be Yourself

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~e.e. cummings, 1955
The Romance Reviews