Cheesy Grits Casserole
This simple dish makes an excellent side for pork, chicken, or ham. It's a great breakfast addition, and also goes well with dinner.
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
2 cups shredded cheese (use cheddar, Colby, Monterey jack, whatever you fancy)
1/4 cup melted butter
2 beaten eggs
1. Heat water and salt to boiling.
2. Gradually add grits and return to boiling.
3. Reduce heat.
4. Simmer uncovered, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool, slightly.
6. Add cheese, butter and eggs, mix well to ensure all of the grits are incorporated.
7. Bake at 350 degrees until a light golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Voila! Spice it up with green chilis, corn, bacon bits, diced ham or onion, really, anything you fancy can lend variety to this simple, tasty dish.